Essay, dissertation, and thesis are something that you have to write at some point of time in your academic life. So as student, a thought could cross your mind that all of these are research papers, what is the use of assigning them separately? So, to answer your such questions and much more, we have to come up with an article that tries to tell whats the difference between an essay, dissertation, and thesis.
Essay, dissertation, and thesis are the three types of academic paper that you have to write based on a particular question and subject matter. Your university use these documents as a method to assess how good you are at a particular subject. So, as you have to understand the use of these research paper writing, lets try to find out what these three academic papers really mean before we discuss the difference between all these three.
What is an essay: An essay can be defined as short literary composition on a literary subject and usually presents the personal view of the writer.
What is a dissertation: It is a written work that helps in advancing a fresh point of view resulting from research. It is usually a requirement for an advanced educational degree.
What is a thesis: Although thesis has the same definition as the dissertation but its usually longer than a dissertation.
Main differences between an essay, dissertation, and thesis
- First major difference between these three assignments are that dissertation and thesis are longer than an essay.
- An essay is an academic paper that usually get used to explore an argument or to give more information about a specific subject. Hence, you can find that most of the essay questions start with what, who, where, how or why. It suggests that these words are looking for a conclusion to be drawn by a writer, following a study of the research that is already available.
- A dissertation is a type of academic paper that look for a writer to come up with new evidence to draw a conclusion about a particular subject matter, as its definition states to “advance a fresh point of view”. It means that a writer looks to add to the research pool on a particular topic instead of just discussing the research thats already available.
- As mentioned above, a thesis is same as a dissertation, but its a broader level of exploration and investigation. Thats why a thesis has longer length than a dissertation.
It was some information that we wanted to share with you as an online assignment help provider. Hope it could come handy to you. If you have problem in writing your assignment, essay, dissertation or thesis, you can simply check out our assignment help online and can get your assignment done by academic professionals. We are a leading assignment help provider that offers quality assignment writing serviceto the students from UK, Australia, and many other countries around the world. So, go through our site and place an order now to get a top-quality assignment solution from us.
8,391 total views, 32 views today
Thesis vs Dissertation
In some universities, dissertation and thesis are seen as the same thing, however, there are a number of differences between the two. Usually a thesis is submitted at the end of one’s master’s degree, and dissertation is submitted at the end of a PhD.
In thesis, you have to conduct your own research, which has to be original; while for a dissertation, you have to synthesize any information that is collected. As well, in a dissertation you can post your own thoughts. Yet another difference between the two, lies in the fact that these two terms are for different degrees. If you have written a thesis, you will get a higher degree, while a dissertation may a part of the process required to obtain the degree.
So, when you are writing a thesis, you have to ensure that you include the hypothesis, which is quite new, and your thesis should be about the research that you have conducted. In case you are writing a dissertation, you have to ensure that you have a good knowledge of the recent discoveries. Basically, you have to infer new conclusions on what you have read and evaluated.
Thesis writing usually takes place when you have reached the last two years of your student life (while doing a PhD). You won’t need to write a thesis if you are doing a master’s degree. However, if your aim is to obtain a doctor’s degree, then you have to write dissertations. Although, in the USA, you write a dissertation if you are doing a PhD, while you write a thesis if you have are enrolled in a master’s program. On the other hand, in the UK, you have to write a thesis if you are doing a PhD, while you have to write a dissertation if you are enrolled in a master’s program.
When you are writing a thesis you usually get scholarships.
There is also a difference between the thesis/dissertation and dissertation statement. The thesis statement is more focused on your primary argument, and it presents the readers with what you are actually trying to prove. It tells your various states of point, and in the end, summarizes the argument.
In a master’s thesis or dissertation you have to conduct research on a specific topic to present your point. In a PhD thesis or dissertation you have to conduct original research, and add novel findings to the already existing literature.
1. A thesis is submitted at the end of one’s master’s degree, and a dissertation is submitted at the end of a PhD.
2. For a thesis, you have conduct original research, while for a dissertation you have to synthesize already existing literature.
3. Thesis analysis is added to the already existing literature, while dissertation is an analysis of the existing literature.
Manisha Kumar. "Difference Between Thesis and Dissertation." DifferenceBetween.net. June 8, 2016 < http://www.differencebetween.net/language/difference-between-thesis-and-dissertation/ >.